ANY CONDUCT WHETHER BY WORDS SPOKEN OR WRITTEN OR BY AN ACT WHICH HAS THE EFFECT OF HARASSING, TEASING, TREATING OR HANDLING WITH RUDENESS ANY OTHER STUDENT, INDULGING IN ROWDY OR UNDISCIPLINED ACTIVITIES WHICH CAUSES OR IS LIKELY TO CAUSE ANNOYANCE, HARDSHIP OR PSYCHOLOGICAL HARM OR TO RAISE FEAR OR APPREHENSION THEREOF IN A FRESHER OR A JUNIOR STUDENT OR ASKING THE STUDENTS TO DO ANY ACT OR PERFORM SOMETHING WHICH SUCH STUDENT WILL NOT IN THE ORDINARY COURSE AND WHICH HAS THE EFFECT OF CAUSING OR GENERATING A SENSE OF SHAME OR EMBARRASSMENT SO AS TO ADVERSELY AFFECT THE PHYSIQUE OR PSYCHE OF A FRESHER OR A JUNIOR STUDENT.
Punishable ingredients of Ragging
- Abetment to ragging
- Criminal conspiracy to rag
- Unlawful assembly and rioting while ragging
- Public nuisance created during ragging
- Violation of decency and morals through ragging
- Injury to body, causing hurt or grievous hurt
- Wrongful restraint
- Wrongful confinement
- Use of criminal force
- Assault as well as sexual offences or even unnatural offences
- Criminal trespass
- Offences against property
- Criminal intimidation
- Attempts to commit any or all of the above mentioned offences against the victim(s)
- Physical or psychological humiliation.
- All other offences following from the definition of “Ragging”
Measures for prevention of ragging at the Institution level
- The advertisement, a brochure or a booklet for admissions have clearly mentioned about the prevention about the ragging regulations.
- The application form also contains a printed undertaking, to be signed by the parent/ guardian of the applicant to the effect that he/ she is also aware of the law in this regard and agrees to abide by the punishment meted out to his/ her ward in case the latter is found guilty of ragging and/or abetting ragging.
- A student seeking admission to the hostel shall have to submit additional undertaking in the form of Annexure I (both Parts) along with his/ her application for hostel accommodation.
- Each and every employees of the institution including teaching and non-teaching staff, labour employed in the premises as well as the hostel staff are trained to report promptly in any case of ragging which comes to his/her notice and will be given the certificate of appreciation for the report against the ragging activity.
- Every fresher admitted to the Institution will be given a printed leaflet detailing when and to whom he/she has to turn to for help and guidance for various purposes (including Wardens, Head of the institution, members of the anti-ragging committees, relevant district and police authorities), addresses and telephone numbers of such persons/authorities, etc., so that the fresher need not look up to the seniors for help in such matters.
- On the arrival of senior students, further orientation programmes will be scheduled as follows (i) joint orientation programme of ‘freshers’ and seniors to be addressed by the principal/Head of the institution, and the anti -ragging committee ; (ii) organization on a large scale of cultural, sports and other activities to provide a platform for the ‘freshers’ and seniors to interact in the presence of faculty members (iii) in the hostel, the warden should address all students; may request two junior colleagues from the college faculty to assist the warden by becoming resident tutors for a temporary duration.
- Freshers will be encouraged to report incidents of ragging, either as victims, or even as witnesses.
At the end of the academic year
- At the end of every academic year a letter will be sent to the parents/guardians of the students who are completing the first year informing them about the law regarding ragging and the punishments, and appealing to them to impress upon their wards to desist from indulging in ragging when they come back at the beginning of the next academic session.
Awardable Punishments at the Medical College/Institution level
Depending upon the nature and gravity of the offence as established by the Anti-Ragging Committee of the institution, the possible punishments for those found guilty of ragging at the institution level shall be any one or any combination of the following:
- Suspension from attending classes and academic privileges.
- Withholding/withdrawing scholarship/ fellowship and other benefits
- Debarring from appearing in any test/ examination or other evaluation Process.
- Withholding results
- Debarring from representing the institution in any regional, national or international meet, tournament, youth festival, etc.
- Suspension/ expulsion from the hostel
- Cancellation of admission.
- Rustication from the institution for period ranging from 1 to 4 semesters
- Expulsion from the institution and consequent debarring from admission to any other institution for a specific period.
- Fine of Rs. 25,000/- and Rs. 1 lakh.
- Collective punishment: When the persons committing or abetting the crime of ragging are not identified, the institution shall resort to collective punishment.